Skip to main content

Trying out Gelatos


As part of an add-on to June's like for ever kit I got a pack of gelatos.  I have very little experience with them and wanted to have a jolly good play, try out a whole bunch of techniques before I put them anywhere near a scrapbook layout.  I videoed my process...



Here is my test page:


My surfaces were pre-gessoed.  One has a whole load of used strips of washi tape stuck on (I hate to waste the prettiness!) with the gesso over the top.

Here are my thoughts;  I didn't rate the two tools in the kit.  The brush shed a load of hairs, more than I was expecting.  Call me snobby but I like a good paint brush, one that doesn't drop hairs all over my work!  The foam tool was OK-ish but you would need one for each colour and quite frankly I preferred using my finger or a baby wipe.  The colours are good - blood orange, banana, squid ink and acqua dolce.  Aqua dolce is very pale.


As for the other colours, big thumbs up!  I might prefer a slightly punchier aqua colour but will use the acqua dolce nonetheless.  It will need to be used less sparingly to get the colour depth that I like.


On to the techniques; smudging was easy with the coat of gesso underneath.  Fingers, daubers, dabbers, cotton buds, barely damp baby wipes... they all do the job.  I prefer to use my fingers as I like to get messy!  Remeber to use a different finger or area of wipe for each colour so you don't contaminate.  The acqua dolce is easily overpowered by a tiny amount of another colour and mud is easily made!


I used a damp baby wipe through a stencil to lift the colour.  I learned that you need a wet baby wipe to lift the colour!  Not a problem though, a quick spritz with water and my baby wipe was suddenly much more efficient.


 I cut some gelato off the stick and mushed and mashed and smushed it together with  some gel medium.  It was much harder to mix than I imagined!  I had hopes of it just dissolving easily and make a beautifully coloured gel, but after a good few minutes of mixing I realised this wasn't going to happen!!  Perhaps there is a technique?  I will play further...  It went through the stencil wonderfully and I'm pleased with the effect - perhaps I need to embrace the extra texture the granular bits of undissolved gelato give?!


I successfully 'let some down' with water.  It did, again, take a lot of mixing but gave good flicks and splatters.  It has a different finish to the splatters I make with Inktense, so it is good to have these four colours to add to my arsenal.

I feel I still have a huge amount to learn about this new (well, new to me!) medium.  If (when) I get more I would rather just buy gelatos and skip the tools!  All in all though I had a lot of fun, I have a nice page in my journal and I like gelatos. 

Comments

  1. Hi Laura, I love the effect and colours on the page.

    Hope you have a nice relaxing evening. Sue

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
I love to read your messages...

Popular posts from this blog

WOYWW 159

Hello, Happy Whats On Your Workdesk Wednesday !  As promised a picture of last Wednesdays 'work' finished off.  Post and more photos here . This week I'm showing off the beaded ATC I made... Tricky to photograph so your getting one with flash and one without... It was all parcelled up and sent off to Queen of Desks Julia .  Here is a basic of how it was made... (lots of waffle about wefts and warps!) I use a flexible beading needle.  It is mainly 'eye' so it is very easy to thread. And delica beads which are more regular and accurate than the better known seed bead.  They are slightly more rectangular than round so they line up better. Thread your needle with the weft thread.  (The cross ways thread that weaves back and forth.)  Pick up the beads... Pass the needlefull of beads underneath the warp (tight length ways) threads on the loom... ...and push each bead up in the corresponding g

Hoppity!

Hoppity hoppity!!  :) Hopeful you have arrived here from Fleur 's blog as part of the Crafty Ribbons Easter Hop .  If not and you've found yourself here wondering what on earth I'm on about (and let’s face it J you wouldn’t be the first!!) check out the Inspirations site for all the juicy details! My project for the hop is         Easter bunting!  I cut three templates first - a triangle pennant, a bird and a heart.        Then I cut the pennant shapes from fibre ribbon, threaded them on to some 3mm satin and evenly spaced them.  I embellished each flag with some beads...       I backed the birds and heart on some thin white card and glued them to the centre of the pennants.   My supplies list: yellow fibre , pink fibre , lime fibre , 3mm satin , button box , white card, glue, beads, needle and thread.   At each stop on the hop there'll be a word to collect and a candy draw. I've got these

WOYWW & Card Deck Swap

First up is my desk ... Hmm.  Perhaps the less said the better!  I really should have a sort out but I fancy desking instead! Next I want to share my card deck swaps (deskers don't have to stay for this bit but I reckon you'd enjoy joining in with us, which is why I'm including it in this post) You can read about the swap here on Jessica's blog and sign up here .  Basically, we take a deck of cards, add paint and/or paper, then add a positive sentiment to each card.  Post them to Jessica who shuffles them and sends back 52 different cards from different artists (yes, you are an artist!) from all over the world. These few are ones I have picked out to display first.  I'll swap them round after a few weeks.  Do you like my domino pegs?  :) Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you'll at least consider joining us for the card swap - it's like a super sized ATC swap, and all WOYWW er's know they are fun! See you at your desk x