Here is a card I was recently commissioned to make...
The lady in question is know as Peach so that is the theme that we went with.
I used gesso and watercolours to paint this peach on a carefully chosen dictionary page. I still feel a bit weird when I cut up book pages. I know someone got rid of the book (as I picked it up in a charity shop) but still makes me feel naughty! Anyway the naiughty feeling faded and I am really pleased with the card :)
First I want to share with you a small case I added ribbon to to keep my Mum's crochet hooks in. It's super simple... case, strong double sided tape and ribbon.
I also made a scissor charm. I know when I went to a patchworking group a few years back we all had the same scissors!
This is just a length of ribbon, two buttons and a popper. Easy to take off if it annoys you (as I thought it might but actually it didn't annoy me at all or hinder my cutting) and pop back on when scissors might wander off to join another crafter!
Over at Crafty Ribbons Ali runs challenges every now and then. She sends you out a bunch of ribbons, you make a coupe of projects and sens them back. The latest bunch was saddlestitch and my projetcs are featured today.
First off I made a mobile with the softer colours from the bundle.
The hoop is the inside of an empty reel of tape covered in washi.
The dangles are die cuts from my collection. Not much of a collection to start with, and when I took colour in to consideration these were the only ones I was left with!
They seem like a random collection!! But overall I think it's quite a cute make and was very pleased with it.
This time I'd like to show you a knitting needle roll.
A while ago I was fortunate to come across a load of sample books from an upholsterer and curtain maker. The samples were no longer the current fabrics and they were going to be chucked away. I rescued them and the fabrics have been sitting in a box waiting for a new purpose. I picked out a lilac piece to match the ribbons and doodled a pattern on some scrap paper.
It was just a few measurements and a few lines of machine stitching, adding a bit of ribbon et voila!
It's not perfect but it holds the needles. Next time I will tweak the design a little to improve it but I guess that's what it is all about... trying, adjusting and perfecting!
Well, this wasn't easy... there were not many options for the Craft Barns Alpha Challenge U page. There were plenty of U words, of course there were - it's a dictionary! But they didn't fit with my theme of wildlife... until I stumbled across
Well, here is my effort for his months White With 1 challenge. The colour is CORAL and you need to use decorative edges. I'm not entirely happy with it. It feels more like 1 With White - too much coral... and I'm not convinced my edges are decorative enough... anyhoo, lets have a look...
I took a sheet of coral and white hexagon paper and cut the straight edges off with my craft knife. This is attempt one at decorative edges. Added some gesso. All of my layers are cut first of all straight and then with a perforating cutter a few mm's in from the edge. It gives a faux stitching feel to the layers. This is attempt two at decorative edges!
Then a few close ups of the embellishment clusters... Thanks to Mum for the crocheted hexagon!
I didn't have a white hexagon button so I dunked one in gesso :)
Loads of white star sequins too...
This is probably the best picture for seeing the close up of the edges...